Saturday, April 3, 2010

She earned herself a surgery consult.

The appointment we had turned out to be with a Nurse Practitioner, and she was super nice. I told her what was going on, and showed her Peanut's tummy. I told her that the tube gets stuck sometimes, and then she cries as if it hurts. I also told her that at night she starts on her back, but rolls to her stomach every night. Each morning she's waking up in a puddle of formula. It has to be leaking around the tube, and I've changed the button and extensions, it still leaks. She went and talked to the GI that was on the floor. The GI said "We make new stomas for two reasons: pain, and leaking". So we are going to have to change her g-tube site.




You can see how high her tube is in this picture.

This makes me so sad. It's necessary obviously, but it seems so ... ugh. I don't know how to even explain, but it makes me really sad. Now we wait for authorization to go to the surgeon who has done all her previous surgeries. The idea of another stomach surgery scares the crap out of me, since her cardiac arrest occurred during one. I will be a nervous wreck in the waiting room. I just hope they can get her in really soon so we can get it done and over with.

9 comments:

Team Carter Jay said...

Awwww. I know how you feel. Poor little Peanut. I'll be praying that they can do it quickly, and it goes super smooth!

Michelle and Sean said...

I've never even thought about that. Poor peanut. I hope things go smoothly for you both. I will keep you in my prayers.

Ivey's Mom said...

That is not the news I was hoping to read. Hopefully she will get this done quickly and take the weight from your shoulders.
G.

Unknown said...

Poor Peanut!
We had our own little mishap yesterday with Zane's g-tube. His peg came off that closes the flap and got stuck in the hole. This happened last year too. We hope she gets the right fitting!

Erin said...

Oh that's no fun. Colby has a GJ tube and his tube has been kinking every night or is blocked by something. I made them x-ray his stomach two weeks ago to make sure his intestine wasn't twisted or anything. I can't change it because it's a whole big procedure and I have to drive two hours each way to get it switched out. So I guess I need to call the GI dr and make sure it's okay to go switch it out a month after putting it in. I hope Peanuts surgery goes well and that the recovery is smooth and easy.

The VW's said...

Surgeries STINK!!! I'm sorry that there isn't a simpler solution! I would be sad and nervous too! Poor Peanut and poor Momma! Love, Hugs and Prayers!!!

Becky said...

WOw! I've never heard of this happening. SORRY! We'll be praying that all goes well with her surgery. Keep us posted.

Cathy said...

Prayers headed your way.. we learn something new everyday. I guess I just thought it stayed in the place it began. Never thought of growth... Thank you for keeping us up on this information.

Alicia said...

Sorry to hear she has to have surgery for her g-tube. I understand your feelings. I will be praying for a date that is soon and for the procedure to go smoothly.

Hugs...