Saturday, August 13, 2011

Update from the hospital

Just heard from Alex. Emily's broviac line is growing yeast. :( She is starting on antifungals for it, and the line will be pulled Monday in the OR. A new broviac won't be placed until they are sure the infection is cleared. GI is upset about the CT scan issue. He is insisting that the two radiologists sit down Monday and discuss WHAT they are seeing, since they are not agreeing on what it is. Obviously SOMETHING is wrong with her bowels or something near her bowels, so what the hell is it. They will be doing more imaging this weekend or Monday to determine for sure. Her fever is back up to 103. Her PCA (pain pump) ran out of medication and for some reason it's taking pharmacy forever to send more up. She is shaking, crying, jerking, miserable. I am so glad that Alex is there and I get a break, but it breaks my heart to not be there. :( Her bladder is huge on the scans, so they want more frequent catheterization. I just told Alex to ask the nurse if we can just place a catheter in and LEAVE it. Let it just drain. Her stomach hurts so much, to catheterize her Mitrofanoff makes her scream, I can't imagine doing it even more often.

I don't know what causes a yeast infection in a line. I am wondering if drooling can cause it? She drools SO much, and the dressing on the broviac has come undone three times this week from it. In fact when we came up to the floor from the ER on Wednesday, the Broviac was uncovered and she was drooling on it. I tell them as soon as I notice it coming undone but it's hard to watch it 24/7. :(

Please pray for Emily, think good thoughts, whatever it is you do. She has never been this sick in her life and it is horrible. They keep saying that she is "on PICU watch", so they are very concerned about what she will do next.

Today, I am home with Jacob. He needs some love and attention and "normal'. We are going to lunch and the Smurfs movie. I will update when I hear from Alex later!

6 comments:

Lacey said...

Sara, she probably just got the yeast from being in the hospital. I don't know if you would be able to pinpoint it. Just one of those sucky things!

Searching for Grace said...

Sending lots of prayers and hugs your way!!!

Cathy said...

As far as the yeast that will make for high fever, shaking and need for PICU. They say yeast is very bad, but to me the amphro-B is the worse part of it. I am praying they don't have to give this antibiotic. Prayers for your little girl.

Colleen said...

My heart goes out to you. Continued prayers for her!

Selene said...

Thinking of you all!

SECRET PEPPER PERSON: said...

So sad to read this. Praying.