Monday, April 27, 2009

Support is amazing

For about a year and a half, I ran a local parent support group. It was for parents with special needs children. Not just cerebral palsy, or autism, or down syndrome, but ANY special needs. It was an amazing and overwhelming group of people.

The location that we were using moved farther from my home however, which made it really inconvenient. We decided to put the group on hold for a while.

There are a core group of four of us moms who still get together at least once a month for dinner and drinks. This month I decided that instead of going out to eat, I would make us all dinner.

We are having chicken enchiladas, spanish rice, pinto beans, and lemon bars for dessert. I bought some Pete's Wicked Strawberry Blonde beer.

I can't wait to with with my "CP Mommas" and just relax. All four of our children are diagnosed with cerebral palsy. This group is the only real life group of people I know who "get it". I am excited!! I just love these women. :)

5 comments:

Michelle and Sean said...

Thats awesome that is exactly what I need! For now the computer supporters will have to do. Anyway if you still have that pick of peanuts scar that would be nice to see. Maggies leg will be all wrapped up for about a week so I can't see it yet. They tried to make the scar as little as possible though.

Alicia said...

Sounds a lot like my Trach Moms group. It is amazing the feeling you get from being around people you don't have to explain things to... they already know!!! I would not be the person I am today without the support of these wonderful people! I am so glad you have found the same. :)

Alicia

Anxious AF said...

I couldnt do this without support from all my differently abled mammas, and my RTS mammas. Im so thankful to have you all!

The VW's said...

I'm so glad that you have this support network! Have fun!!! Dinner sounds great! :)

Lacey said...

Oh peanut, I do remember. I'm glad you gave me your blog so I can see who you are. I'm getting all my blankies in order since I've been back from vacation its been a little crazy. I have 5 blankies being hemstitched right now and have about 5 more to find material for. But I know have 5 people to help me so we should be able to bust them out quick.